Sunday 1 April 2012

GRIMES

GRIMES



I got into the artist musician and filmmaker Grimes around 2010, with the Geidi Primes album, which was originally released on cassette in 2010 through Arbutus Records. Later in the same year, Grimes released her second album, Halfaxa, which I snap up just as quick telling any one who would listen just how great she is. In 2011, Grimes released a split 12” with D’eon titled Darkbloom this was a harder find as I am based in sunny Manchester but thank god for the internet. Grimes got busy again in 2012, with the release of her third album Visions in January just giving me chance to save up my pennies. This time a more melody driven mature sounding album.

The album Vision has been lorded over from Canada to Cambridge. Her song "Oblivion" from the album received five star reviews across the board. Grimes described the emotions behind the writing of her new album in a recent interview as being "equally enjoyable and tortuous but I feel like the fact that it was really hard was part of the reason that it was really good, you know? I definitely look back on that time with fond memories, even though I remember crying and being like “I hate everything!” at the time! (Laughs) But I recorded it in my room in Montreal and it was a really good way to work”.
As a fan I don’t care how tortuous she finds it as long as she keeps writing, Grimes is the cool thing to come out of Canada since, oh well Avril Lavigne, maybe not lets forget the Canadian link just check out the record.
Albums
Geidi Primes (Arbutus Records, 2010/No Pain in Pop, 2011)
Halfaxa (Arbutus Records, 2010/Lo Recordings, 2011)
Visions (Arbutus Records Canada/4AD US, 2012)



OBLIVION.  

No comments:

Post a Comment